Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Olympics and Valentine's Day

I don't think that I'm going to stick to one subject today. I'm thinking the Olympics and Valentine's Day should cover my thoughts.

Let's start off with Valentine's Day. My feelings toward this holiday are not exactly warm and fuzzy. In fact, I find it scheming and pointless. The concept of a day to show your love to someone is not too bad. However, don't you think you should pick a day that actually has some importance to you? Anniversaries and birthdays are great suggestions. Yes, I realize that you already celebrate your love on these occasions, which is exactly my point. Is one day a year devoted to you not enough? Truly, if you love someone they will already be aware of this fact. It's not like if someone dotes on you on Valentine's Day then ignores you every other day you actually want them. But why us Valentine's Day so big? Because manufacturers want to con you out of every last penny you have. If you walk into Wal Mart the week before Valentine's Day, you wouldn't have to be there very long to watch 100 dollars be spent on Valentine's Day. This is Wal Mart alone. Many people spend more than that alone for this one day. It puts people into more debt and makes those who could not afford something feel guilty. Not to mention it makes single people feel like losers. To wake up on a day devoted to love and not have someone who romantically loves you can't feel so great. This is why Valentine's Day is also known as Singles' Awareness Day. If you didn't care about being single before, now you do. Obviously, I think that Valentine's Day has been blown into a huge, pointless, commercial holiday.

On the other hand, we have the Olympics. This event is fantastic, amazing, and often inspiring. This is an example of an occurrence that deserves all the attention. These people have given up their lives for the love of this sport. There are athletes ranging from their teens to their mid-30s, each giving so much so they can live their dreams. There are stories are families entering into debt because of the devotion needed to train for the Olympics. If you are training for your life-long dream, there is not much time for a job. Unless, you get endorsements, there are going to be rough spots in order to claim a spot in the Olympics. I find these people amazing to have even made it this far. I hold an amazing amount of respect for those who get there then don't qualify for the next round. Obviously, it is disappointing that they did not get farther, but think of how far they have come already. Plus, sometimes champions become conceited and arrogant. This is the dark side of these wonderful games. However, you have to admit that it could become very difficult to remain humble when you're being beaten over the head with endorsement deals. I often wish I could grab these athletes by the shoulders and shake some sense into them. They have so much potential to be throwing away on the fact that everyone despises you. There are many lovable competitors. These are the ones I root for, and wish everyone luck in achieving their dreams. Go Team USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment